COMIC-BEE EDUCATOR CONTEST
Contest extended to September 6, 2019
1. ELIGIBILITY. The Comic-BEE Educator Contest (“Contest”) is open to legal residents of the fifty United States (“U.S.”), including the District of Columbia (“D.C.”), who at the time of entry are a) eighteen (18) years of age or older and b) currently employed full- or part-time as an educator by an accredited public or private K-12 school or a homeschool educator and c) who live in and have legal status to reside in the U.S., including D.C.; can provide proof of such status; agree to all laws and tax obligations of the U.S. and the jurisdiction and venue of the courts of the District of Columbia; and agree to be bound by the terms of these Official Rules. Employees and their immediate family members (parents, spouse, siblings, or children, (whether natural, adopted, or foster)), officers, directors, advisors, or agents of the By Kids For Kids Company (“Administrator”) or Secure Decisions (“Sponsor”) and their respective parents, affiliates, subsidiaries, successors, assigns, partners, advertising and promotion agencies, judges, webmasters, web suppliers, and other persons or entities associated with the development, administration, or fulfillment of the Contest (collectively, “Contest Entities”) are not eligible to participate in the Contest. Void where prohibited by law. All applicable federal, state, and local laws, rules, and regulations apply.
2. CONTEST PERIOD. The Contest begins on May 1, 2019, at 9:00 AM (EST); and ends on September 6, 2019, at 11:59 PM (EST) (“Contest Entry Period”). Administrator’s computer is the official timekeeping device for the Contest.
3. HOW TO ENTER. NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. To enter the Contest, go to https://www.cybersavvyeducators.com (hereinafter, “Website”), click on the “Register” button and follow the instructions found on the Website. When you access the Contest Registration on the Website, you will be required enter your full name, email address, school name, school district, city, state, grade(s) taught, and subject(s) taught. Once you have fully completed and submitted all non-optional data requested by the online registration, you will receive an email with a link to the Comic-BEE website portal for this contest.
Once you have the Comic-BEE secure link you will be able to access the Comic-BEE contest entry site. Once there you will be required to provide your email address and full name to set up your account. Please use the same email address you used to register on the BKFK website. You will then follow the instructions to complete your comic project in Comic-BEE.
An entry must include: A lesson plan with at least two (2) concepts, each with two (2) “Knowledge, Skills and Abilities” (“KSAs”) outlined, and each KSA with two (2) learning objectives; a branching script with a minimum of eight (8) total scenes with three (3) end scenes, including one (1) good and one (1) bad; each choice in the script must be associated with at least one learning objective and have a choice quality and choice expertise ranking specified; a storyboard for each scene; and a completed Final Comic for each scene, using Comic-BEE graphic assets.
Once a comic is completed, entrants will be required to self-publish their completed comic per the instructions provided on the Comic-BEE site (i.e., download the Final Comic as a .zip file) and submit the .zip file by returning to the entry website at https://www.cybersavvyeducators.com, clicking on the “Submit Your Entry” button, and following the instructions to submit your entry. You will be required to enter your Comic-BEE username, comic name, and a brief description of your comic including what knowledge you want students to take away from the comic.
Once submitted, entries become the property of Administrator and Sponsor. Entries will neither be acknowledged nor returned.
4. SUBMISSION REQUIREMENTS. In addition to conforming to the requirements of these Official Rules, each entry must:
a. Include a completed Final Comic for each scene, using Comic-BEE graphic assets;
b. Be submitted as an uploaded file (.zip) exported from the Comic-BEE website;
c. Be in the American English language;
d. Be submitted through the Contest entry website;
e. Be received and recorded by the Administrator’s Contest computer by September 6, 2019 at 11:59 PM (EST).
By submitting an entry you warrant and represent, to the best of your knowledge, that Your Contest entry: (1) does not violate any applicable law, regulation, or right of any third party including but not limited to patent, copyright, trademark, publicity, privacy, or other intellectual property rights; (2) does not contain any names or private and/or sensitive information about an individual without that person’s prior written consent; (3) does not contain any content that is or may be perceived as violent, immoral, defamatory, derogatory, obscene, offensive, illegal, sexually suggestive, obscene, or similarly inappropriate; and (4) does not contain any virus, bugs, or other deleterious material.
Additionally, You represent and warrant that: (1) the Contest entry was 100% entrant’s own, sole, and original work; (2) the entrant will promptly provide Administrator with all information reasonably requested by Administrator in relation to entrant’s Contest entry; (3) You have read, understand, and agree to be bound by these Official Rules and by the decision of the Sponsor and Administrator, which are final and binding in all respects; and (4) You agree to submit an Affidavit of Eligibility and Release (“Affidavit”) in compliance with these Official Rules.
Any Contest entry in violation of the above requirements and restrictions, as determined in Sponsor and Administrator’s sole and absolute discretion, shall be deemed void.
5. JUDGING CRITERIA. All submissions will be judged based on the following weighted criteria:
25% Quality of curriculum delivered by comic (breadth or depth of concepts/KSAs/learning objectives in Lesson Plan; alignment of choices & learning objectives in Write Script).
20% Creativity (storytelling, characters, etc.)
20% Visual appeal of final comic
35% Accuracy of content in lesson plan, story choices (e.g., does that consequence actually follow as a result of that choice)
In the event of a tie, the submission with the higher score in the Accuracy of Content criterion will prevail.
The grand prize winner and runners-up will be selected on or around September 27, 2019. Winners will be publicly announced early October 2019. The decisions of the Sponsor, Administrator, and judges’ concerning all matters related to the Contest are final and binding in all respects.
6. PRIZES. The odds of winning depend upon the number of eligible entries received. The prizes are as follows:
• One (1) grand prize winner will receive: (A) a cash prize in the amount of $1,000.00 to be issued in the form of a check; and (B) a gift card in the amount of $500.00 for school supplies; and (C) access to the 4 winning comics with project files, (D) 1-year individual subscription to Comic-BEE with 36 tokens, (E) classroom use of Comic-BEE for teacher’s 2019/2020 students; and (F) access to read 2 cybersecurity comics from Secure Decisions through June 2020. (ARV: $1940.95 USD).
• Three (3) runners-up will each receive: (A) a cash prize in the amount of $750.00 to be issued in the form of a check; and (B) a gift card in the amount of $250.00 for school supplies; and (C) access to the 4 winning comics and project files; (D) 1-year individual subscription to Comic-BEE with 30 tokens, (E) access to read 2 cybersecurity comics from Secure Decisions through June 2020. (ARV: $1335.91 USD)
• All participants will receive read access to the 4 winning comics through June 2020. (ARV: $39.96 USD)
Each prize is non-transferable and non-assignable, with no cash redemptions, or substitutions except at Sponsor’s sole and absolute discretion. Sponsor reserves the right to substitute a prize (or portion thereof) with one of comparable or greater value, at its sole and absolute discretion.
7. WINNER NOTIFICATION. Each winning entrant will be notified by Administrator, within ten (10) business days of winner selection. Winners may be notified via telephone, email, overnight mail, and/or regular mail. As a condition precedent to prize acceptance, winners will be required to execute and return the Affidavit, and any other documents, as designated by Administrator or Sponsor. Non-compliance with the foregoing; failure to comply with verification process and/or eligibility requirements; return of prize or prize notification as undeliverable; or the inability of Administrator to contact a winner within a reasonable time period, may result in the applicable winning entrant being disqualified, and at Administrator’s sole discretion, awarding of a prize to an alternate entrant.
If a winner becomes disqualified; fails to claim a prize; or forfeits a prize for any reason; Administrator will award the prize to the next highest scoring entry. Sponsor and Administrator assume no responsibility for lost, misdirected, or undelivered prize notifications. Sponsor and/or Administrator reserve the right to disqualify any entry for failure to complete and submit the required Affidavit; failure to comply with these Official Rules; the laws and regulations of the United States; any state or local jurisdictions; or because the United States government has levied sanctions against the winner.
8. COSTS. You agree that you are responsible for any costs that entrant may incur in connection with the Contest or any prize that entrant may be awarded. You further agree that you are responsible for any and all federal, state, provincial, local, or other tax liabilities in connection with the acceptance of any prize that entrant may win.
9. DISCLAIMER. Sponsor, Administrator, and Contest Entities are not responsible for non-conforming, lost, late, incomplete, inaccurate, delayed, undelivered, misdirected, or illegible Contest entries (or any component thereof) or for inaccurate entry information, whether caused by Sponsor, Administrator, Contest Entities, or by any computer, technical, human error, or malfunction that may occur in the processing or judging of the Contest entry, the administration of the Contest, or in the announcement of prizes. Additionally, Sponsor, Administrator, and Contest Entities shall not be responsible for incorrect or changed URLs concerning Contest entries posted on the Website. Incomplete Contest entries are not permitted and will be deemed void. The use of any device to automate the entry process is absolutely prohibited, and any such entries shall be void. Sponsor and Administrator reserve the right, in their sole and absolute discretion, to void suspect Contest entries or to modify, cancel, terminate, or suspend the Contest should a virus, bug, or other cause corrupt or impair the administration, security, or integrity of the Contest. Persons who tamper with or abuse any aspect of the Contest, as solely determined by the Administrator, will be disqualified. Use of any automated system to submit entry forms is prohibited and will result in disqualification.
10. LIMITATION OF LIABLITY. By entering the Contest, You voluntarily and irrevocably release, discharge, waive, relinquish, hold harmless, and absolve the Sponsor, Administrator, and Contest Entities (hereinafter, “Released Parties”) from any and all liability, for loss, harm, damage, injury, cost, or expense (whether due to negligence or otherwise) whatsoever including without limitation, attorney’s fees, property damage, personal injury and/or death, or for breach or failure of any representation, warranty, or obligation, which may occur in connection with, preparation for, travel to, or participation in the Contest, or possession, acceptance, and/or use or misuse of prize or participation in any Contest-related or prize-related activity and for any claims based on publicity rights, defamation, invasion of privacy, copyright infringement (including claims under state law moral rights provisions, as applicable), trademark infringement, or any other intellectual property-related cause of action, including without limitation in connection with entrant’s Contest entry and/or any prize awarded where there are (1) errors whether technical, printing, typographical, human; (2) data being lost, corrupt, misdirected, stolen, lost, late, damaged, incomplete, mutilated, or illegible; (3) hardware, software, browser, computer, server, or network failure, malfunction, congestion, delay, error, or incompatibility; and (4) any other error that results in harm to which You, or Your heirs, executors, administrators, and assigns, had, now have, or hereafter may have, by reason of any matter, connected in any way with the above named entrant’s Contest entry and participation in the Contest.
Released Parties are not responsible for lost, late, misdirected, incomplete, or non-delivered entries; for interrupted or unavailable satellite, network, server, Internet Service Provider, Website, telephone, or other connections; availability, or accessibility issues resulting in miscommunications or failed computer, satellite, telephone, cable transmissions, or lines; technical failures such as jumbled, corrupted, scrambled, delayed, or misdirected transmissions; computer hardware or software malfunctions, failures, technical errors or difficulties; or other errors of any kind whether human, mechanical, electronic, network; and the incorrect or inaccurate capture or entry of information or failure to capture, store, or the loss of any such information. Entrants are expected to, and must, retain copies of all portions of their entries, and must not rely on Administrator to retain the same. Administrator is not responsible for lost or corrupted submission materials.
Released Parties are not responsible for injury or damage to participants’ or to any other person’s computer related to, or resulting from, participation in the Contest or downloading or printing materials of any kind from, or for, the Contest, or use of the Website. Should any portion of the Contest be, in Administrator’s sole opinion, compromised by virus, worms, bugs, unauthorized human intervention, technical failures, or other causes which, in the sole opinion of the Administrator, corrupt or impair the administration, security, fairness, proper conduct, or submission of entries, Administrator and Sponsor reserve the right, at its sole discretion, to suspend, modify, or terminate the Contest, and select the winner from entries received prior to action taken or as otherwise deemed fair and appropriate by Administrator or Sponsor. Released Parties are not responsible for any incorrect or inaccurate information, whether caused by site users, tampering, hacking, or by any equipment or programming associated with or utilized in the Contest, and assume no responsibility for any error, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operation, transmission, communications line failure, theft, destruction, or unauthorized use to the Website.
IN NO EVENT WILL RELEASED PARTIES BE RESPONSIBLE OR LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGES OR LOSSES OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF YOUR ACCESS TO OR USE OF THE WEBSITE, AND/OR DOWNLOADING FROM AND/OR PRINTING MATERIAL DOWNLOADED FROM THE WEBSITE. WITHOUT LIMITING THE FOREGOING, EVERYTHING ON THE WEBSITE INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, THE CONTEST, IS PROVIDED “AS IS” WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. SOME JURISDICTIONS MAY NOT ALLOW LIMITATIONS OF EXCLUSION OF LIABILITY FOR INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR EXCLUSION OF IMPLIED WARRANTIES, SO SOME OF THE ABOVE LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSIONS MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU. CHECK YOUR LOCAL LAWS FOR ANY RESTRICTIONS OR LIMITATIONS REGARDING THESE LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSIONS.
11. LICENSE. To the fullest extent permitted by applicable law, You hereby grant Sponsor, Administrator, and the Contest Entities an irrevocable, perpetual, with the right of publicity, world-wide license to use, adapt, reproduce, distribute, copy, modify, create derivative works of, display, perform, exhibit, distribute, transmit, broadcast, publicly or otherwise, and to use and permit to be used, entrant’s Contest entry, content, or any part thereof, whether alone or in combination with other materials (including but not limited to text, data, images, photographs, illustrations, graphics, video, or audio segments of any nature), in any media whatsoever and to publicly display entrant’s Contest entry, name, picture, image, likenesses, voice, biographical information, statements, identifiable aspects, and any photograph, film, video, audio recording or other recording taken of entrant or such materials, in whole or in part, throughout the universe, for any advertising, marketing, promotional, or commercial purposes in connection with the Contest as determined in the sole discretion of Sponsor and Administrator without notice and hereby waive all claims to compensation, royalties, remuneration, consideration, notice, or permission in connection therewith.
12. ARBITRATION. Except where prohibited You agree that: (1) any and all disputes, claims, and causes of action arising out of or connected with the Contest, or any prize awarded, or the determination of the winner(s), must be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, and exclusively by arbitration pursuant to the Rules of the American Arbitration Association, then effective; (2) any and all claims, judgments, and awards must be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred, including costs associated with entering the Contest but in no event attorneys’ fees; and (3) under no circumstances will entrants be permitted to obtain awards for, and entrant hereby waives all rights to claim punitive, incidental, and consequential damages and any other damages, other than for actual out-of-pocket expenses, and any and all rights to have damages multiplied or otherwise increased. If permitted by law, and the American Arbitration Association Rules, entrants or entrant’s parent/legal guardian (if entrant is a Minor) agree, all proceedings commenced hereunder, the details, transcripts, testimony and all particulars of all such proceedings, and the results of all such proceedings, but not limited to findings of fact and/or law, and awards, (all as however characterized), must be kept and maintained as confidential by all of the parties (and their counsel or representative(s)) to any proceeding, and must not be disclosed, in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, to any third party.
13. CHOICE OF LAW. All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation, and enforceability of these Official Rules, the Affidavit, and/or the rights and obligations of entrants, Administrator, Sponsors, or Contest Entities in connection with the Contest, must be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of the State of Connecticut, without regard for conflicts of law doctrine, and all proceedings must take place in the State of Connecticut. Sponsor or Administrator’s failure to enforce any of the terms of these Official Rules shall not constitute a waiver of that provision. Any provision of these Official Rules deemed unenforceable, will be enforced to the fullest extent permissible, and the remainder of these Official Rules will remain in effect.
14. WINNER’S LIST. To obtain the name of Contest winners, mail a first-class, self-addressed, and stamped envelope to: BKFK, ATTN: Comic-BEE Contest; 1177 High Ridge Rd; Stamford, CT 06905. All requests for winners must be received by October 31, 2019. Names of winners may also be posted on the Comic-BEE Contest Website.
15. ADMINISTRATOR. The By Kids For Kids Company, 1177 High Ridge Road, Stamford, CT 06905 USA.
16. SPONSOR. Secure Decisions, 6 Bayview Avenue, Northport, NY 11768